July 11, 2006

Yeah, I got nothing and yet I'm compelled to write

Alright, I'm done being bitter about Zidane, also known as My New Husband, losing his cool at the worst possible time. Yeah, I'm lying, but I have to move on, don't I? I am, however, thrilled that the Italians won. Especially since the meltdown in the Italian league. I am sort of curious to see how this whole drama plays out. It's sort of like the European version of Eight Men Out, which is a very good movie. Not as good as Saving Grace, but still. Good. What I'm mostly curious about is the fact that none of the people charged are players. How do you fix a match if you don't have at least some of the player's cooperation? The ref can really only do so much in a sport where 0-0 is a common score.

So, still a little punchy, but mostly because I'm not waking up at 5:30 any more. Now I wake up at 4:30 and can't go back to sleep. I'm investing in a sleep mask tomorrow. I only hope I can find an orange one. Lovely Clare suggested that I'm not sleeping due to the fact that it's too light in my bedroom. I'm inclined to agree with her. So invest in a 70's Jackie Collins Bitch Mask I shall. I wonder if I need to complete the ensemble with furry high heels and a satin robe with ostrich feathers? The idea brings terror to my heart. Methinks I'll stick with the mask and call it a day.

So, what is happening in Ireland now that World Cup is over. Um... The roses are about bloomed out. The fish have swum back out to sea and no longer entertain small children on my walk to work. I've been using Housemate Clare's bike in her absence. That's fun. It's been several years since I've been up on a bike and although I'd like to buy one, I figure I need to test drive one first. So I have the use of the bike while she dodging rebellions and earthquakes in East Timor. (she's an aid worker, not an adrenaline junkie) I've been out twice. The first time on my way to pilates class, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake since we were working our thighs that night and so does the bike. The second time I took it to the grocery and I learned that I don't know how to strap bags on to the bike. Also that my expletive of choice of 'dammit!' much to the dismay of that old man walking by. And, I'm wobblely. Like a Weeble who hopefully won't fall down. I've seen people who've fallen and it's not pretty. I'm much too vain for that.

Today as I walked to work, the sun was shining, the sky was clear and blue so I grabbed my sunglasses on the way out the door. Any day you can wear sunglasses in Ireland is usually a good day. On the way home for lunch I noticed that it looked like rain and had gotten quite cold, so upon returning to the office, I added to my ensemble a sweater and an umbrella. That's the list of items needed in an Irish Summer: sunglasses, jacket, umbrella. Because you're going to get caught out on one of those if you don't bring them all. It might be bright and sunny but it can be cold as hell. And I've seen it lash down rain but 10 minutes be so bright I fear for my retinas. It's wild I tell you. And I feel like an idiot everytime I walk down the street wearing sunglasses and swinging my umbrella. That's going to be the title of my first book: Sunglasses and Umbrellas; My Life in Ireland. By the time I left work, it was so hot out, I stripped off the sweater, forgot about the glasses and noticed several people staring at my umbrella. Granted it's a flashy orange one with tiger ears on it, but still. Perfect skies, slight breeze, hot sun. Tomorrow it'll probably sleet.

You may have noticed, you might not have, that I added a new site meter to the bottom of the page. It's really fun. The link takes you to a page where you can see every computer that has accessed the site, by map or by list, how long they stayed, how they got there, etc... In the short time I've had my new toy, I've learned that googling vespa plus lap blanket will call up the blog. So I've gotten some pretty random hits including one person looking for a bar in Florida. The first one I got was from Iceland and I was quite excited until I realized they were looking for official Vespa gear and stayed 0 seconds. That was a little demoralizing. But other than that, nice fun toy... I spy with my little eye...

1 comment:

F John said...

Weather there is just as unpredictable as it is here. Wait, no it isn't. People here have never seen an umbrella. Forecast is the same everyday, Hot, sunny and Windy.

Sorry 'bout the lost bet. Dinner sounds good though!
J