March 10, 2007

It’s Good to Have a Flatmate Suzie

Everyone should have one, though not mine, obviously. I’m rather fond of mine and I’ll fight you to the death for possession of her.

There are just some days were one is incapable of taking care of oneself. Some of us have these days more than others and when they strike, it’s nice to have a partner nearby to lean on for support. That’s what I miss most about having an other half; no one to sweep me up and take over when I’m utterly unable to do so. And yesterday was that type of day for me. Actually, all week was. I’ve been lurching from event to event, trying to finish all the projects on my desk, study my Italian, and research my upcoming trip with Texas Friends to Northern Ireland and the UK. I’ve been exhausted all week and the last time I felt this worn out, I was in grad school and hadn’t slept properly for 5 months. Tuesday I came home to change into warmer clothes before Italian and FS remarked that I looked wiped out. I was, but I went anyway. Thursday I was meant to go into town to run some errands but Co-worker Clare remarked how pale and drawn I looked. Yesterday I was asked to meet a friend for drinks, another friend asked me for dinner and movie night at his place, and by the time I finished my 3 minute commute home, I was wiped out. Shattered is how FS described me. And thankfully, she took over.

She offered to make me dinner. She poured me a sympathy glass of wine and fed me chocolates. She even invented the new house rule where any box of chocolates must, upon opening, be eaten in one sitting. Then she drew me a hot bath and made me a sandwich so I’d have something to eat when I came out of the bath. She played music for me, good energizing music she knew I’d like. By the time she was done with me, I was a completely different person. Tucked in bed, falling asleep on my book, warm and happy. It’s good to have a Flatmate Suzie around. Even I need taken care of now and then, much as I hate to admit it.

Thanks Suze. You’re a champ!

No comments: