October 09, 2007

My Mothman Prophecy

I woke this morning in a sheer panic. I heard the church bells chime 9 and opened my eyes to decide what to wear to work. Yes, it takes me 30 minutes to get ready and I stayed up too late last night to get up early and putter around in the house before work. So when I rolled back over to check and see that my chosen outfit was indeed clean, I noticed the clock read 10:10. Adrenaline is much more effective than caffeine in the mornings.

I leapt up, wondering how that happened and grabbed my cell phone which read 9:10.

Excuse me? Perhaps adrenaline isn't so effective after all. I did feel a bit fuzzy but generally speaking I can read digital times no matter the sleep deficiency. I decided better to haul ass and be early than to be fired.

As I pulled on my jeans (forgot what I was planning on wearing and went for the nearest available), I grabbed the watch on my dresser and tried formulate a credible excuse for showing up 45 minutes late for the meeting I’d insisted on with my boss, ‘first thing in the morning’. The watch, too, read 10:12. That stopped me dead for a moment. I can understand how I accidentally reset the clock by my bed, but the watch?

I finished getting dressed and walked into the kitchen just as Flatmate Suzie came out of her bedroom. She, poor thing, was greeted with me hollering to her: What time is it?!

Upon inspection of her phone and the clock in the bathroom, it was decided it was 9:20 and I was not yet late for work. While brushing my teeth I saw the usual people I do in the mornings: the man who bikes to work in a black overcoat, the woman who walks with a slight haunch. That’s when I decided it was going to be ok but there was still an irrational stab of fear when I opened the office door.

But I still don’t understand how I managed to set both the clock and the watch in correctly. And identically incorrectly, I think that’s my favorite part.

I’ve rest all the clocks. Let’s see how tomorrow starts, shall we?

2 comments:

D-Vaz said...

So what happened at work? And did you figure out who is pulling this prank on you? It can't be me since there is an ocean dividing us. But you know, that is a great idea for local friends. Thanks!

B said...

Nothing, I was on time. The following day the clocks told me the correct hour so I was on time that day too.

No clue how it happened but I strongly suspect supernatural forces.