October 24, 2007

A Post About Shoes, Martinis and Babies

It was a slow morning on Sunday. When we both found ourselves in the kitchen having coffee and toast, Flatmate Suzie and I decided we needed to take ourselves out shopping or waste the entire day indoors. Given the days are getting exponentially darker and exponentially earlier, any sunshine is not to be wasted. So we threw ourselves together and hit Grafton Street. I realize that going in and out of shops hardly qualifies as enjoying the sun but neither does sitting in my beautiful chair in the living room.

No shock to anyone who knows us, we ended up in the she department in Brown Thomas. Suzie trying on shoes she should not afford and me trying to figure out which ones I should not try on. And then it happened. I found them: beautiful gray patent leather peep toes with white heels and double ankle straps of white patent leather.

“Oh! I love these! I love them so much I want to marry them!”

And then my eyes came back in focus to see a woman I do not know smiling at me. It was a very long second but not nearly long enough as I tried to come up something to explain what was an otherwise ridiculous statement.

“I know exactly what you mean!” she laughed and moved on.

And she did. Every woman knows exactly what I was saying.


After I saw the price tag, I realized it was meant to be an unrequited love and gently set them back down. Before I walked away, I petted them one last time and found myself in Jimmy Choo. Suzie was still waiting to try on her shoes, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to look a bit more. In Jimmy’s very pale pink boutique I had just picked up a beautiful moss green patent leather peep toe (I’m sensing a theme with me here) when the cute little baby girl started bawling. Her mother picked her up and immediately she gurgled. I bent down and said to her:

“Why are you squalling? You’re in Jimmy Choo.”

She smiled. So did everyone in Jimmy Choo.

We shopped until all the stores closed, which was only a few hours, that tends to happen when you leave the house at 3 in the afternoon, but we just weren’t ready to come home yet. As we considered shopping at a newspaper agent, a dire option at best, Suzie came out with quite the request.

“Take me to one of your fancy places.”

I’ve never heard anyone say that before, so I took her to Venue for martinis. She told me she’d never been there and was curious after seeing the photos. It’s the fanciest place I could think of so down to the bar we went. We had the place to ourselves for the most part and the cute Australian barman brought us a rather large bowl of veggie chips. Yum! I had a frozen apple daiquiri and she had a Hunk martini. Then we had a load of water because her martini was quite strong and she doesn’t really drink much.

When we emerged there was no more sun to be had so we hopped in a cab and came home. It was a good way to spend the day.

No comments: