November 01, 2007

Being Stalked By My Past

Air Supply is stalking me. Its true. Awareness of a thing for the first time leads immediately to constant references to the thing over the course of the next few weeks. Like the word effete. It was in my book last night, I had to look it up in the dictionary and tonight it was on my beer coaster. It's the word of the week apparently. So I've ascertained that Air Supply is stalking me. I've heard them serenade me 3 times this week alone and I notice they're in concert here shortly. You read that correctly. Not only are they still alive, they're touring. I'm no musical snob but men that sing like Anne Murray should never be allowed to tour.

Ah, Air Supply... the sound track to my overly emotional and hyper romantic early teen years. I remember roller skating to them, holding hands with some boy in the dark during the couples only skate. It was all so very poignant, except I didn't know that word then. I believe it was my first album. I know I played it over and over again, singing along, wretched in the heart break of it all. Turns out I still know all the words.

As I turned 15 I moved on to my Chicago years, the last few good years of Saturday in the Park and the monster ballad that was 'Hard To Say I'm Sorry'. Grant Jones and I used to make out to that album. That's how I learned my Roman numerals. The album, not making out with Grant. After the duet with Amy Grant, Chicago went downhill and I was searching about for an emotional outlet. It was then my brother introduced me to my first real love: Judas Priest.

But for tonight, I am back to Air Supply, drifting into hazy, saccahrine -laced, romance laden dreams.
And what would you say if I called on you now
And said that I can't hold on
There's no easy way, it gets harder each day
Please love me or I'll be gone,
I'll be gone
massive strings crescendo
plaintive acapella
I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right believing for so long
slow build up to grande finale
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong
Lights up, hands dropped, back to friends.

1 comment:

D-Vaz said...

Judas Priest Rules!!! I got to see them at the Ozzfest Tour 2004. They truly are "Metal Gods!"