December 31, 2010

No Cinderella

It is precisely at times like this one wishes one had married, in any way at all. Hastily. Clandestinely. Scandalously. Richly. Badly. It matters not at the moment.

I've just returned from Crouch End where, once again, I had to stock up on groceries for the next 5 days, as nothing in the whole of Britain will be open until Jan 5th. I am exhausted and I need a nap to recover. A husband to do my bidding would come in handy right about now. So would a Butler, come to think of it. At any rate, the simple act of riding the bus 3 minutes to Crouch End, gathering a few groceries, and then returning on the bus has left me spent. I'm still sick. Which is quite unfair as I actually have a New Year's Eve party to go to this evening and I was really looking forward to it.

The fact that I am sick bothers me, but being sick in a foreign country is particularly wretched. Since the middle of last week, everyone I know in this city has been out of town or country, not to return until tonight. Had I needed help, there would have been no one to call. It's a very vulnerable position to be in but as my sister rightly pointed out, at least I speak the language. Being sick in Sweden wasn't easy. Being sick in France was quite difficult as well. The ability to read gone, I couldn't pick out any medicines for myself and while the pharmacy across the street from the hotel was a godsend, it was another world away as the only French I speak relates to eating and drinking. At least this time, I can speak the language, as long as I can drag my poor ravaged body to the pharmacy. That I managed to do. I am a hero among women.

And here we are, on the eve of the New Year. Most people are buying champagne and vodka and fancy foods they so rarely eat, wishing each other well, asking if there are any resolutions being made. I filled my basket with sinus/cold/flu medicines and foods that take less than 5 minutes to cook with zero effort.When my neighbor asked if I had big plans for the evening, I smiled and wished her well. I didn't have the heart to tell her my highlight was going to be a steam filled bath and then bed before the clock strikes 10. I'm no Cinderella tonight.

So while all you are out celebrating and laughing and starting the year by kissing someone pretty, I plan to celebrate the New Year in my bath tub with a yellow rubber duckie and a cup of Lemsip. It's not your traditional glass of bubbly but that's just fine by me.

Happy New Year all!

1 comment:

D-Vaz said...

Happy New Year Beth.