December 11, 2006

A Little Help Please?

I was talking to Jenn the Sister In Law the other night and saying that I wished I had known about the music festival in Barcelona before we booked our vacation, because we would have shown up a week later to take part of it. And then I was telling her how I read about so many different festivals and celebrations and how I’d like to compile a list of them all over Europe (or reasonably close enough) so when I’m choosing holiday destinations, I can take part in some of them.

Which is where you come in.

I’d like some help please. Anyone know of any thing fitting this category? Music, food, religious, nationalistic, anything at all really; I just need a good excuse to go visit places that I might not see otherwise. For example:

· the Palio in Sienna is run twice a year, July 2 and August 16
· the Marathon du Medoc is September 8
· June 24 is Midsummer Celebrations in Sweden
· March 17 is St. Patricks Day in Ireland.
· The Chelsea Flower show is May 22-26
· The Edinburugh Festival is in August
· Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail is screened every year in September in Scotland

If you’ve got to travel, you might as well have something interesting to do while you’re there. Thank you, in advance, for your ideas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get back toyour Texas roots:
http://perso.orange.fr/country.rendez-vous.festival/english.html

-Luke

Anonymous said...

Queensday in Amsterdam, April 30

Carnival - Venice

-Hip

Lifetheuniverseandeverything said...

Well, I was dragged, kicking and screaming to the Chelsea Show last year. Not being a horticultural afficionado, I didn't think I'd enjoy it. But I have to admit it was super. Its much more than a flower show. There's a great atmosphere, its fun, its interesting AND it gives you a great reason to visit London again for a weekend. We managed to get in a Westend production and a visit to the Tate too.... All in all, well worth it and a great weekend!

B said...

Chelsea has been on my list since I arrived here, I must admit. A flower show can't garner that much worldwide press and not be worthy of it. This year, I'll make it.

As for my Texas Roots... dunno. Looks like it could be interesting though. I know the French do great rap, but whining about their dog, pick-up, mama and the rain? I'll let you know.