February 14, 2008

Enjoy Your VD

I had my high school reunion this summer and a list was distributed of everyone’s contact information. I’ve gotten emails from various people including the wife of one former classmate. It was harmless spam, of course it was spam, but when she started sending me religio-political emails, espousing outright hatred for various groups, including my gay husband, I'd had enough. I’ve never met her, she knows nothing of me or my belief system. I politely asked her to stop, she did and all was fine.

Until today.

This just came in for me and, I’m sure, anyone who has ever been in her address book:

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL VALENTINES DAY! Today marks 11 years of marriage for us. I hope everyone has been as BLESSED as we have, hope you have a wonderful day!

It sucks being single on Valentine’s day. It’s worse having every retailer on earth reminding me that I am single on Valentine’s day and therefore unworthy of flowers, chocolates, sex, love or creepy stuffed animals.

But really. This. Is. The Limit.

I’m happy she still loves her husband and has something to celebrate. I wish more couples could last 11 years without incident. But do I really need to have this shoved in my face?

No.

I don’t need to celebrate anyone’s marriage other than my family members, and they barely get remembered. I also don’t need to be told that I am not ‘blessed’ unless I have a partner. Or, more importantly, as blessed as she is, which implies a competition of blessedness, wherein we singles are just out of the game before the Fat Lady even starts to sing. Hell, she hasn’t even started warming up yet. In fact, she’s probably sitting on her ass in her dressing room eating all her heart-shaped chocolates, the bitch. It’s a bad enough day for me, given the amount of times I’ve been dumped on or just before the day but to have the tidings of others’ great joy delivered to me is just IT.

Bring on the f-ing tequila!

1 comment:

D-Vaz said...

Hey B, want to help me find cupid and rough him up a bit? This is what we do. We take his bow, find a turd and dress it up. We set it down in his line of sight and shoot him with his own weapon? Couldn't hurt and it just might make us feel better.

Or tequila like you suggested works well too.