February 20, 2008

La Luna e Bella

I am spending the evening on the sofa with chocolate ice cream, watching a movie, and wondering if I will get out of my warm bed as planned tonight at 3am. No, not for vacation, that would be easy. Instead I am intending to witness the total lunar eclipse tonight, which begins at 3am. Well, I understand the best part of it is at 3am. It technically begins at 1am. It is the last one until New Year’s Eve 2015, which definitely gives me something to look forward to on that particular evening, but even so, it’s a bit of extreme advanced planning, even for me. So when I was looking thru the DVDs for something to watch, I settled for the obvious, Moonstruck. I haven’t seen it in years and frankly, it seemed like a harbinger.

I’m not normally one for these types of excursions but after I saw the images on the internet, and read as astronomy-types harangued me into not missing the event, I decided I should listen. I only wish I had a telescope.

So, even though I am tired now, at 9:17pm, I will set the alarm for 3am, bundle up in the warmest clothes I can lay my hands on at such an unreasonable hour, and head out into the cold to see a blood red moon. Or lack of moon. With luck, the sky will be clear and I will not have adventured in vain.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

D-Vaz said...

Look out for reverse Were-wolves. These are more gruesome than regualr were-wolves because they only come out during lunar eclipses. Aren't you wishing that you had a normal full moon now? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to wait until the next one. It is cold and raining on the wind swept pastures of Oklahoma tonight. Although, we do get some pretty red moonrises and moonsets from the red dirt that gets kicked up from the winds. I guess it is one of those little things that makes Oklahoma ok.